2020 Competition Rules
1. A maximum of six entries are permitted per member in all competitions except The Diamond Jubilee Trophy and The Wilf Hathaway Trophy (see below). Unless otherwise stated they can be colour, monochrome or a mixture of both and must not have been submitted to any club competition prior to the current year.
2. In combined print and digital projected image (DPI) competitions,
3 Prints and 3 DPI’s are allowed per entrant and the entrants should rate them 1,2 & 3 so that if there are too many entries all the “3’s” would be omitted. In these competitions prints and DPIs are judged separately. Slide competitions have a maximum of 6 slides per entry.
3. Entries to be submitted to the Competition Secretary two weeks before the competition date unless requested earlier by the judge. DPIs can be submitted on a CD, DVD, or memory stick, all of which must be clearly labelled with the member’s name. Entries can also besent by email or WeTransfer.com.
DPI files must be in JPG format with a .jpg file extension. Files to be no larger than 1400 x 1050 pixels (WxH) and have a resolution no higher than 300dpi. This means a landscape format image cannot be larger than 1400 px on the longest side and a portrait format no larger than 1050 px on the longest side. Titles are to be in the format “sequence number_title_member’s name” eg (2_Sunset_Joe Soap).
All prints to be adequately mounted to a maximum size of 500mm x 400mm and be complete with a backing board. Minimum print size to be 175mm x 125mm. Home or commercially processed prints are permitted in all competitions. If fixing tape is used for mounting, it must be of an appropriate type, so that the tape remains securely stuck to the backing board. (Masking tape must not be used) Any mount colour is acceptable.
6. The club will provide labels for prints and slides, which must be clearly completed with the Title, Member’s number and Month/Year and name of the competition. These are then to be attached to the rear of the mount and positioned top/centre.
7. All slides to be correctly “spotted” (lower left corner as viewed) and labelled with Title, Date and Member’s number. Slides must be originals and not made from DPIs.
The results of all the monthly competitions will count towards the Photographer of the Year Trophy. All entries will receive one point with bonus points awarded to 1st place (10 points), 2nd place (7 points), and 3rd place (5 points). If a judge awards Highly Commended places 1 bonus point shall be awarded. If a competition (single or combined) is judged by a member (who cannot submit entries) then they receive 5 points.
9. An entry for The Wilf Hathaway Trophy will consist of one group of five prints. Prints can be of any subject, colour or monochrome (or a mixture of both) but should demonstrate a range of photographic skills/techniques. Maximum print size to be 300mm x 254mm, maximum mount size to be 400mm x 300mm. Prints entered as part of a Wilf Hathaway Trophy are not permitted in this competition again.
10. An entry for The Diamond Jubilee Trophy will consist of a panel of 5 prints. Prints can be of any subject, colour or monochrome (or a mixture of both) but should be based on a theme. All prints to be adequately mounted to a size of 500mm x 400mm and be complete with a backing board. Minimum print size to be 175mm x 125mm. Prints entered as part of The Diamond Jubilee Trophy panel are not permitted in this competition again.
11. An entry for the Print of the Year or DPI of the Year may consist of up to 4 prints subbmitted in accordance to paragraphs 3 to 7 above
12. Images can be entered into a maximum of three competitions, one from any three of the following four groups:
One monthly themed or open competition;
One of Print of the Year, Slide of the Year, or DPI of the Year;
One as part of The Wilf Hathaway Trophy as a print;
One as part of The Diamond Jubilee Trophy as a print.